Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Illustration work...what's missing

This piece is supposed to afford me the opportunity to do some work that will add missing elements to my current portfolio. What's missing from my portfolio? A lot.

I chose to base this illustration on my own writing, but changed my mind several times about which piece of writing it should be. My final choice was this story:



This is the rough drawing...



Here's the finished watercolor painting....


There are so many things wrong with it. I tried to correct one of the most glaring problems, but am wondering if I only made it worse. There are some wonky striations that are the result of scanning the painting in, in 2 pieces, but I tried to camouflage most of them. So I'm back to the drawing board to start all over...literally. I really like the idea of the shark as a shadow, but the painting didn't accomplish exactly what I wanted. I plan to take some time and do the original over again....better, this time.




2 comments:

Lighthouse Pilot said...

Lookin good. I'd say that your hand, hair and the child's hair need more modeling and contrast. Everything reads in the mid-value range at the moment and I think you could go darker in some places. The corner in the shark shadow could be sharpened up a bit as well. Ooooh...and darken the shark shadow on the floor because it's getting lost. It's a really nice drawing, by the way.

Lighthouse Pilot said...

I just tried to leave a message and the internet goblins ate it. Let's try this again.

Really nice drawing and the illustration is coming along nicely. I think you need more contrast and modeling in your hand, hair and the child's hair. The colors all seem to read as light to mid-range values, but no really dark values. The room and mood feel a bit bright when I think you could go darker and push the scariness of the shark shadow. I'd also darken the shark shadow on the floor and sharpen the where the walls meet in the corner of the shadow. I lke this one. Keep posting updates!