Sunday, August 29, 2010

State of the Union Post 2

Of the artwork you have done, what is your personal favorite piece?
There are two.
#1 This one, that I did for the Invisible Cities assignment:


#2 And this one, that I did with the little monster fella:



Why do you like it?
#1 There are problems, including the values, with the original...the scan came out darker and off-color...but I like the composition, and the choices I made for the details of clothing, hair & shoes. I also like it, because it looks like there's a story there.

#2 I like this one, because I rocked the litho-crayons, and did some not-too-bad drawing on this one. I've not been able to reproduce that kind of success with the crayons, since. I like the composition, I'm pretty happy with the other technical aspects of it, and I think my interpretation of the idea is good.



What piece do other people like most?
There have been a few different pieces in different classes. The Pretty Hate Dress in Surface Design, a couple of landscapes in my watercolor class; the painting class liked Susan:



But probably the piece that I've received the most positive feedback on overall, inside and outside of class, was my Hannibal Lect-Hare t-shirt design for Illustration:

Do you agree?
The pieces I've done over the years that've received more-positive-than-usual-feedback have almost always been those that I've been reasonably happy with, the ones that feel at least mostly finished, and that don't have too many mistakes to fix...so the answer's yes; I can't recall ever having done a piece that I've disliked, that other people really liked.

Why do you think they like it?
What's not to like about a homicidal, cannibalistic bunny? Maybe people liked it because the style makes it look very clean, it looks finished, the colors work well together, the workmanship is good, or maybe they liked it because it was an idea that more people could relate to, for a change. Once in a while, I think I surprise people.


What piece surprised you the most?
The 100 demons scroll piece. It was a difficult assignment for me, but it turned out to be a good exercise that helped me see how a lot of sketches can help with the idea process, if you don't lose your mind first. I ended up surprising myself with some of what I produced. A lot of it was lame, but there were a few characters in there that weren't too bad. This is the one that got the most positive feedback, even from people who'd never commented on my work, before...which is funny, because this little guy is me:




And here are some others:






Five doodles or sketches that you like as much as any of your finished pieces.
I don't doodle...which is probably against the artist's and Illustrator's code, or something. I usually always like my final preliminary drawing better than my finished piece...the drawings are done in a dry medium though, & the finished pieces are almost always done in a wet one, and I just never seem to get the final one quite finished, especially where the values are concerned.

This was a less-than-an-hour, in-class drawing of Cody, which miraculously actually sort of looks like him, and probably has more life in it than the final Sinbad piece.



This was some sketchbook work that was done fairly quickly with no preliminary drawing or planning.



This one's from the same sketchbook assignment, & I did as much sketching with the paintbrush as I did with the pencil, which is unusual.


One of the sketchbook sketches from The Peabody. They were originally just supposed to be sketches for ideas, but several turned out well enough to be stand alone work, I think.


Another sketch from the same bunch from The Peabody. I don't think anyone else who looked at it, liked it as much as I did.

No comments: