Tuesday, August 31, 2010

State of the Union- Post 4

Yeah..."updated editor", right. Not really crazy about that feature. It made everything all wonky, so I freaked out for awhile trying to figure it out, & then went back to the old editor, started all over & voila!

List ten illustrators whose work you admire, or whose career you would like to emulate. Who are their clients? What sort of work do those clients look for? Provide images.



Cedric Rivrain - I like fashion art and I like his style. He’s a fashion illustrator, and some of the designers he’s worked with are John Galliano, Maison Michel, and Martine Sitbon.





Lauren Mills - I like the delicacy in most of her work. She’s very skilled with watercolor. She’s done children’s book illustrations, and portrait and sculpture commissions. She’s been published by Little, Brown Young Readers, and Dial.



Michael Whelan - Not a bad career…over 350 books & magazine covers, and some album covers. His eye for detail and his technical skill are amazing. His work has been published by DAW, Del Ray, & Ace books, almost all, Sci-Fi and Fantasy. He doesn’t even accept commercial commissions anymore, and he’d finally won so many awards, he started withdrawing his name from competitions.




Ingrid Sundberg - Her children’s work is bright and fun and a little quirky. She’s done work for books and magazines, including The Mountain Astrologer, Sage Woman, and Half Price Books.





Stephen Gammell - I love the loose and splattery children's book illustrations he’s done, particularly for Monster Mama…I bought it just for the illustrations. Some of the publishers he’s worked for are Knopf, HarperCollins, Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books, and Henry Holt and Co.




Tony DiTerlizzi- He did freelance work, and then began writing and illustrating children’s books. He’s worked mostly for Simon & Schuster, Children’s Pub.



Wayne Anderson - I really enjoy looking at his work. I'd buy those books. His work is featured in books, mostly children's books, on greeting cards, posters, magazines, and more. Some of the publishers he’s worked with are Jonathan Cape, Paper Tiger, David Bennett Books, Templar,, Walker Books, and Delpire.




Mary Engelbreit - Not a bad career: children’s books, greeting cards, and then you’ve got the plates, T-shirts and all that other stuff....she's obviously been successful in marketing her work. Her work has been published by Andrews McMeel Pub, Harper Collins.



Jerry Pinkney - Children’s books illustrator, illustrator of novels, and doer of commissions, he’s won too many awards to count. He’s done work for Knopf Doubleday, Macmillan, Dial-a division of Penguin Pub., and National Geographic, just to name a few.





B. Kliban - Cartoonist for Playboy, creator of cats ; his work was compiled in books, & even though he died in 1990, it’s still being reproduced on greeting cards, mugs and t-shirts, etc. Most of his books were published by Workman Pub.



Go to a bookstore with a large magazine section, like Barnes and Noble or Borders. Find at least 10 magazines you think you could work for. Consider both the content of the magazine and the type of illustration, if any, that they use. Record the names of the art director and any assistant art directors listed, and their contact information.
I love magazines, but I'm afraid printed ones may soon become extinct. Everybody's got an online version, or they're scrambling to create one. Some previously impressive magazines, like Smithsonian, are now just shells of what they used to be....it's sad. Especially since illustrations just don't have the same impact for me if they're not on a printed page. I think if I'm going to think about submitting work to magazines, I might like to find small, financially solvent magazines that can still afford to pay, but that might be easier to get my work into. That will take more research, so in the meantime:

Cricket Magazine Publishing (14 children's magazines)
Highlights for Children
Brain, Child
Yes
Know

Modern Dog
Asimov's
Analog
Fantasy and Science Fiction
Realms of Fantasy

Interzone


If you were starting your own magazine and your livelihood depended on it selling well and your sanity depended on it being something you wanted to spend all your time on, what would it be? What sorts of writers and artists would you hire? What subject matter would it deal with? How would you want it to look?
If my livelihood depended on it, it would have to be a magazine that could tap into an unoccupied market niche. So maybe something for women over 50... there aren't a lot of those around...magazines for that specific age group, I mean...there are plenty of women over 50....and they generally have disposable income. I'd want the magazine to steer away from the "women's magazine" or AARP vibes that everything else for that demographic seems to have. I wouldn't want it to feel old, or present that age group as marginalized, or isolated from anything and everything current and relevant to people younger than them. I'd hire starving-type artists and writers, but good ones....try to find new talent, but not necessarily young; it would be ok, maybe even a plus, if they were over 50 as well.

The subject matter would include the issues that women from that particular age-group face...like the fear a lot of grannies have of the Internet, maybe, or how they feel about single men over 50 being given a free pass to go out with younger women, while women over 50 are ridiculed or vilified if they choose to date younger men. But I wouldn't want it to be a whine fest, nor would I want it to fall into the self-help vein. I'd want it to be entertaining, so I'd make specific interests they have, including, or maybe especially, art, a large part of the content. Serious art, though...not scrapbooking and stuff...not that I have anything against scrapbooking, mind you.
And since I'm really interested in science, I'd want to include fun, science-y factoids in there somewhere---I like the way Mental Floss presents their information. I'd want the magazine to be smart...but not too dumbed-down or too intellectual to be off-putting to anyone who might think about buying it. What I wouldn't want it to look like, would be old, or stale, or stiff or cheesy, or unoriginal, or cheap; I'd want it to include a lot of photographs and original art.


List ten non-magazine clients that you would like to work with. Why are these dream clients? Find and record their contact information.
Book Publishers - I've seen some really crappy-looking paperback covers, and have often thought: surely, I can do better. Many of the large houses have quite a few children's book publishers under their umbrellas, and children's books really interest me:

Haffner Press
MacMillan (includes St. Martin's & Tor)
Penguin (includes several children's publishers, Dial Books for Young Readers, Ace, & Daw)
Random House (includes Bantam, Dell, Golden, The Dial Press, Ballentine, & Del Ray Books)
Simon & Schuster (includes Gallery Books)
Hatchette Book Group (includes Little, Brown & Co.)
Bloomsbury
Andrews McMeel

Greeting Card Companies: Greeting cards are small, they have few words, I'm not sayin' it's easy, but I figure I can do that:

Recycled Paper Greetings
Papyrus
Hallmark
Designer Greetings
Oatmeal Studios
P.S. Greetings





No comments: