Friday, April 5, 2013

Couches

I love curb couches. Strange, I know, but I do. They're so much more than just garbage on the side of the street to me. Couches absorb a lot of living (and who knows what else) before they're finally put out to be carried to the graveyard-of-sofas or wherever they end up. They're practically members of the family. I have a history with the curb variety.

Several years ago, I did a performance piece that included a slide show of photos I'd taken of curb couches and a poem by Thom Holcomb (who I knew from poetry nights at the Java Cabana), set to a soundtrack of Gary Jules' "Mad World" (after the music was featured in Donnie Darko, but before every TV show in the U.S. decided to use it for one episode or another). Getting so many photos of different curb couches was a daunting task. I begged friends and acquaintances to call me when they'd see one anywhere in the city, so they could give me the location and I could speed over and get a photo before the couch was carried off.  Many nice people helped me. It was a great collaborative effort. One lovely, fabulous guy...a friend of a friend, not even someone I knew really well...took me driving for hours and hours one day to odd corners of Memphis I'd never seen, and I was able to get some great shots. The whole project took a huge amount of time and effort, but I was really happy with the result when all was said and done.  It was well-received, and thinking of it still makes me smile. The people who helped me and those who saw the finished piece have told me repeatedly that every time they see a couch on a curb, they think of me. I think that's a good thing. As an artist, I like that I'm remembered as a result of a creative effort. I'm currently thinking of remaking it with more up-to-date technology.

Anyway...

Because of my interest in, and my history with curb couches, I thought painting couches out of their normal living room habitat was a good idea. I think couches are good metaphors for people. These paintings were made at a time when I was feeling quite isolated and lonely, but still a little hopeful, and I think they convey that. I've done two paintings and I'd like to add more to the series.

Couch I, acrylic on canvas, 36x48 inches

Couch II, acrylic on canvas, 48x36 inches

No comments: