Thursday, April 4, 2013

Paris Landscapes

These were done from reference photos taken on a trip to Paris quite a few years ago. I started out with the intent to do just normal water soluble oil paintings (getting the drawing down in charcoal and then painting over it), but the effect of the buildings sketched in charcoal was intriguing enough that I ended up painting in a completely different way, leaving a lot of the charcoal visible. Large sections of the oil layer are painted thinly, and much of the acrylic under-painting is visible in both paintings. Once in awhile, a painting will lead me in a direction I'd not intended to go, but I think that can be a good thing.

Paris I, water soluble oil, acrylic, and charcoal on canvas, 30x24 inches

Paris II, water soluble oil, acrylic, and charcoal on canvas, 30x24 inches

No comments: