Thursday, April 4, 2013

Nontraditional Paint Manipulation

This nonobjective series came about when I was trying to extend my painting beyond traditional boundaries. They were done purely for the enjoyment of moving the paint around and exploring color. The paintings required a special setup and figuring exactly what was needed and how it should be made was challenging, but I persevered and worked it out. Creating them was quite fun. The method I used to make them changed slightly when going from canvas to paper, but remained true to the original idea. The nontraditional paint manipulation gave me considerably less control over the medium than I'd have with a brush or painting knife, and yielded fairly random results. The paint was used straight out of the tube and mixed directly on the surfaces. I like the feeling of movement the paintings convey, the patterns that emerge, and the color variations that occur. I'm very interested in using this painting style on larger canvases.

Secondary I, acrylic on canvas 16x16 inches

Untitled I, acrylic on illustration board, 10x15 inches
Untitled II, acrylic on paper, 6.5x8.5 inches

Untitled III, acrylic on paper, 6x8 inches

Untitled IV, acrylic on paper, 5.5x9 inches

Untitled V, acrylic on paper, 5.5x9 inches

Untitled VI, acrylic on paper, 6x9 3/8 inches

Untitled VII, acrylic on paper, 6x5 inches



The process used to make the following two paintings was devised at the same time as the process above, but it's a completely different method than I used for the previous works...with obviously different results. This process has some glitches, so I've put it on the back burner for the time being, but would like to try it again when I've got more time to fix the kinks.  

Untitled I, acrylic on illustration board, 6x8.25 inches

Untitled II, acrylic on illustration board, 8.25x6 inches






No comments: